Recipe type: Side
Carlings are a British food recipe of fried pea patties.
- 8 oz dried green peas
- 3 cup cold water
- 2 to 3 tbsp fresh bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp butter for frying
- Soak peas overnight in cold water.
- Drain peas and rinse well. Place peas in a large saucepan and cover with 3 cups cold water.
- Bring water to boil and cook peas for 1½ to 2 hours, stirring regularly and adding extra water if necessary, until the peas are tender.
- Drain and allow peas to cool. Then, in a large bowl, mix the peas with the bread crumbs, onion, herbs, salt and pepper, and melted butter to form a stiff mixture.
- Shape mixture into cakes and dust lightly with flour. Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a frying pan and fry the carlings until golden brown, turning once.