Recipe type: Dessert
Gingerbread Cake is a British food recipe of spiced cake.
- shortening or margarine
- 1⅔ cup flour
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp allspice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup molasses
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of an 8 inch square cake pan. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, ginger, allspice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda into a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until very soft. Beat in the eggs one by one, then mix in the molasses. Gently fold in the dry ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top springs back when pressed lightly with your fingertips.