Mushrooms on Toast
Recipe type: Side
Mushrooms on Toast is a British food recipe of creamy mushrooms poured over toast.
- ½ lb fresh mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 4 slices buttered toast
- Wash mushrooms and drain on paper towel. Cut into quarters.
- Melt butter in a frying pan. Add mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste. Saute over medium-low heat until soft.
- While mushrooms are cooking, mix cornstarch with a little of the milk in a small bowl to make a smooth, thin paste. Then add the rest of the milk and stir until mixture is free of lumps.
- Slowly add milk mixture to mushrooms in the pan, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat for 1 minute.
- Pour mixture over toast and serve immediately.