Recipe type: Entree
Poached Fish is a British food recipe with white sauce.
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1½ lbs fish fillet
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Smear margarine on the bottom and sides of a deep baking dish and lay fish in the bottom. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and pour milk over all.
- Cover dish with foil and bake on the middle oven rack for 40 minutes.
- When fish is cooked, remove the pan from the oven. With a spoon or baster, draw off all the liquid into a small saucepan. Turn down the oven to 200F and return fish to oven to keep warm.
- Bring liquid in the saucepan to a boil over moderate heat.
- In a cup, mix cornstarch and milk together to make a smooth, thin paste. Gradually pour cornstarch paste into boiling liquid, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Add parsley and lemon juice. Pour sauce over fish.