Recipe type: Dessert
Spotted Dick is a British food recipe of traditional raisin cake with cream.
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- flour for dusting
- triple folded cheese cloth
- large pot of boiling water
- In a food processor, blend flour, salt, sugar, butter, raisins, and water just until it forms a ball. Do not over mix, or the dough will be heavy.
- Remove dough; mold gently into a cylinder 8 inches long.
- Dust cheese cloth with flour. Place pudding in the center and wrap. Tie or seal ends well, but leave room for expansion.
- Lower wrapped pudding into boiling water, cover, and boil for 2 hours. Replenish water as necessary.
- Cut pudding crosswise into 2-inch pieces. Serve with creamy custard.